Setelah mengetahui macam-macam bilangan dalam bahasa inggris pada artikel sebelumnya, sekarang saatnya kita mengetahui cara membaca beberapa simbol matematika (Mathematical Symbol) serta beberapa operasi sederhana (Basic Operation) yang sering kita temukan dalam matematika. Semoga bermanfaat.
Berikut beberapa simbol matematika yang sering kita temukan di berbagai literatur matematika beserta cara membacanya.
- If we add one quantity to another then we use symbol + (plus).
- The name of this operation is addition.
- The result of this operation is called the sum
- If we subtract one quantity from another then we use the symbol – (minus)
- The name of this operation is subtraction
- The result of this operation is called the difference
× (multiplied by or times)
- If we multiply one quantity by another then we use the symbol × (multiplied by or times)
- The name of this operation is multiplication
- The result of this operation is called the product
÷ (divided by)
- If we divide one quantity by another then we use the symbol ÷ (divided by)
- The name of this operation is division
- The result of this operation is called the quotient
For instance, let’s read out these operations:
- 9 + 6 = 15 (nine plus six is equal to fifteen)
- 19 – 3 = 16 (nineteen minus three is equal to sixteen)
- 12 × 11 = 132 (twelve multiplied by eleven is equal to one hundred and thirty two)
- 60 ÷ 6 = 10 ( sixty divided by six is equal to ten)
Now let’s fill the blanks as exercise
- When we __________ two quantities, for example three plus seven the answer is called _________
- The result of a division is called _________
- The operation which uses the symbol ÷ is called _______
- Twenty minus seven is equal to thirteen, this operation is called ________
- Add, the sum